The Way to a Woman’s Heart
-Women are majority owners in 6.2 million privately held U.S. companies.
-An estimated 86 percent of women entrepreneurs use the same product and services in their homes as they do at the office.
-Single women head 27 percent of households.
-A product that meets or over-delivers on its promise
-Food with nutritional benefits
-Convenience of use, i.e., shorter preparation time and grab ‘n go products
-Extended-use occasions resulting in less waste
-Designed for ease-of-use
-Packages and structures that appeal to both hand and eye
-Environmentally friendly materials
-Appropriate materials and package surfaces for the category
-Resealable and functional packaging
1. Distinctive shapes in beverage bottles.
2. Cheese and other perishables in easy-to-reseal, flexible-film bags.
3. Detergent bottles with measuring caps and easy-to-grip handles.
4. Ketchup in mess-free squeeze bottles.
FOUR TAKEAWAYS FOR EFFECTIVE DESIGN
1. Retain consultants that truly understand gender-specific packaging design.
2. Use research to learn what motivates and drives women to purchase. Follow an outside-in approach instead of the typical inside-out approach to new product development.
3. Create an intense connection to your brand with a compelling point-of-difference.
4. Make her experience special at every “touchpoint.” She will spread the “good news;” referrals are a powerful tool in generating new-product trial.