DuPont has announced its 2016 Awards for Packaging Innovation winners, recognizing companies that have responded to worldwide demand for improvements in customer product experiences and sustainability, and incorporated simpler messaging and cost-efficient production technologies.
The DuPont Awards for Packaging Innovation is a long-running, global, independently-judged celebration of innovation and collaboration throughout the value chain and is recognized globally as the leading packaging awards program. The international competition honors innovations in packaging design, materials, technology and processes. An independent panel of packaging experts evaluated nearly 200 entries from more than 25 countries. In addition to the awards noted above, the judges awarded five gold winners and nine silver winners based on “excellence” in one or two categories. See all winning packages and more details about them here, and watch judges' comments on the innovations here.
“Noticeable this year was a strong commitment to the greater good, with a focus shift from just package functionality to more solutions-based packaging, which provides consumers greater access to products that make their life better,” said lead judge David Luttenberger, CPP, global packaging director of Mintel Group Ltd. “We also are seeing a real demand from consumers for on-pack communication that is authentic, not overwhelming.”
Graham Packaging, based in Lancaster, Pa., received the highest accolade, the Diamond Award, for its Thermaset Blow Molded PET Container for hot-fill, pasteurized food. Thermoset offers consumers a shatter-resistant, easy-to-hold, safe, recyclable container that significantly reduces shipping, breakage and other manufacturing costs for the brand owner.
The newly inaugurated Diamond Finalist award, given to six companies, acknowledges the growing number of packaging innovations that excel in all three categories: technological advancement, responsible packaging and enhanced user experience. As a result of ground-breaking, cutting-edge excellence in the packaging marketplace, judges awarded a new Leadership in Innovation Award to MGI, based in Melbourne, Fla. MGI was recognized for its digital spot UV and hot foiling technology for next-generation digital package decoration, with advancements in customization, personalization and cost-effectiveness.
“Ascending to new heights in packaging innovation, this year’s winners show how collaboration, innovation and packaging excellence converge to generate game-changing solutions that positively impact our lives,” said Dale Outhous, VP of DuPont Ethylene Copolymers. “We are inspired by the breadth of advances, including interactive user experiences, clean labeling, advances in safety and sustainability, and expanded manufacturing options and lower production costs, especially with digital printing.”
2016 DuPont Awards for Packaging Innovation Winners
• ThermaSet Blow Molded PET Container for hot fill, pasteurized food (Graham Packaging, USA)
• Daisy Squeeze-Flexible Squeeze Pouch for Daisy brand sour cream (Aptar Food + Beverage, USA)
• Lightweight 18.0 g & 12.0 g Square-Shaped Edible Oil Bottle & 1 g Cap (Adani Wilmar, Ltd., India)
• TeaBrewer/CoffeeBrewer - premium whole leaf tea/coffee brewing system (Coffeebrewer Nordic A/S, Denmark)
• Printed Coldform for Doril Enxaqueca medicine (Bemis Latin America, Brazil)
• Method Liquid Laundry Detergent 53-ounce PET post-consumer recycled bottle (Amcor rigid Plastics, USA)
• NIKE Inflatables 2015/2016 Packaging Redesign (OIA Global, USA)
LEADERSHIP IN INNOVATION AWARD
• MGI 3D Digital Package Decoration Process (MGI, USA)
• Water-Based Retortable Sauce Pack (Pulmuone Co., Ltd., Korea)
• SYNEK Beer Cartridge Pouch (Mondi Jackson, USA)
• Formpack Ultra blister packaging (Amcor Flexibles, Germany)
• Never Miss a Spot Technology, extended wand sunscreen applicator (PHD Skincare, USA)
• Rust-Oleum SpraySmart™ Marking Paint Pouch (Printpack, USA)
• Christmas Bow Label (Coca Cola, Belgium)
• Next Generation Spice Paste Tube (House Foods Group Inc., Japan)
• Sani-Stak Take-Out Container (Go To Containers, USA)
• Tetra Rex Bio-Based Fully Renewable Chilled Carton (TetraPak, Italy)
• PhutureMed – Advanced Packaging Solution for Pharmaceuticals (Palladio Group, Italy)
• Transparent DuPont™ Surlyn Tube (COTY, Brazil)
• Klearfold Keeper Package - Enigma USB Hardware Encryption & Decryption Device (HLP Klearfold, USA)
• Korrvu Lok – Performance Packaging for eCommerce (Sealed Air, USA)
• Prestone Stop Leak Product Line (TricorBraun, USA)