John B. Sanfilippo & Son Inc. (JBSS), in partnership with Damen Jackson, has received a “Best Use of Packaging” Silver Award in the 2017 Transform Awards for its Fisher Chef’s Naturals packaging redesign.
The Transform Awards recognizes excellence across the vast space of branding work from all over the U.S., Canada and Mexico. Transform Magazine holds the annual awards competition to recognize creativity, leadership and strategic thinking in the industry. Other award winners included Purina, Dell, Adient, General Mills, Tyson Foods, Zenni, Cadillac and A&E Networks.
“We are honored to receive this distinguished award for our latest packaging refresh in partnership with Damen Jackson,” said Howard Brandeisky, Senior Vice President, Global Marketing & Customer Solutions at John B. Sanfilippo & Son Inc. “The talented Damen Jackson design team has played an integral role in helping us utilize our brand packaging to tell our brand story and better communicate our brand attributes.”
The extensive award submission process required each brand to submit a case study defining everything from brand strategy through marketing to innovation and retail success. The Fisher entry highlighted its shopper insights as a basis for the recent packaging changes. Damen Jackson, in partnership with JBSS, focused on ways to better communicate the healthy and fresh goodness of what’s inside the bag. Changes to the packaging included the following:
- Inclusion of the Non-GMO Project Verified seal on all items, the American Heart Association Certified emblem on most items, and the “Excellent source of ALA Omega-3” call-out on Fisher walnuts.
- Redesign of the banner across the front of stand up bags to better differentiate size and nut type at shelf.
- Change to matte finish, instead of the previous shiny finish, to help accentuate the “natural” aspect of the brand. The window was maintained to allow consumers to see the quality of the nuts inside.
- Redesign of the back of bags to include the brand story as well as compelling recipes and images that inspire consumers to experiment with their cooking and baking.
- Inclusion of Fisher tagline – Live Life Unshelled® – to help elevate the brand identity to an experiential and emotional level.
- Updates to the Delkor Cabrio Case® included SKU-specific color-coding, making restocking easier for retailers and identification of nut variety faster for shoppers.
The redesign contributed to Fisher becoming the number one brand in the baking aisle.