Water brand DASANI will debut various sustainable packaging innovations in support of The Coca-Cola Company’s global “World Without Waste” goal to make its bottles and cans with an average of 50% recycled material by 2030. Updates to DASANI’s packaging line-up are designed to reduce plastic waste and increase the use of recycled and renewable materials in the United States, while ensuring that all DASANI bottles continue to be fully recyclable. New innovations include:
- The HybridBottle, which is The Coca-Cola Company’s first package in the United States to be made with a mix of up to 50% plant-based renewable and recycled PET material (PlantBottle TM and recycled PET plastic). This innovation builds on the company’s decade of success with PlantBottle by adding recycled content alongside plant-based material to reduce the amount of virgin PET plastic used in the bottle (available nationally in 20-oz. bottles in mid-2020).
- The expansion of package-less DASANI PureFill water dispensers with the addition of up to 100 PureFill units across the country beginning in fall 2019. The additional units are an evolution of the successful Coca-Cola FreestyleTM platform.
- The introduction of new aluminum cans (launching locally in the Northeastern U.S. this fall and expanding to other regions in 2020) and new aluminum bottles (available in mid-2020).
- Continued lightweighting across the DASANI package portfolio to support overall efforts to reduce the amount of virgin PET plastic procured by the Coca-Cola system.
- The addition of “How2Recycle” labels to all DASANI packages to help educate and encourage consumers to recycle after use (rolling out starting this fall).
DASANI currently plans to remove the equivalent of 1 billion virgin PET bottles from its U.S. supply chain in the next five years.