ConAgra sets goals to reduce packaging by 2015
1. Greenhouse gas emissions: Reduce greenhouse gas emissions by 20% per pound of product produced compared to 2008 emissions.
2. Water: Reduce water use by 15% per pound of product compared to 2008 water use.
3. Solid waste: Divert solid waste from landfills by at least 75% compared to 2011 levels.
4. Packaging: As compared to 2008, the company will:
5. Supply chain engagement: Encourage continuous improvement of the supply chain in the areas of energy, water, materials and waste.
"Because our food is part of the lives of millions of consumers each day, ConAgra Foods has a critical responsibility to create positive environmental change,” says Gary Rodkin, ConAgra Foods CEO. “We can do that by making our food in the most sustainable and efficient way possible. We've set these new transparent sustainability goals to ensure we are a leader in continuously improving the way we make food, and to continue to create more awareness for what others can do to improve as well."
Since 2007, ConAgra Foods has initiated sustainability projects that have reduced carbon emissions by more than 25,000 metric tons, eliminated 4,000 tons of landfill waste and 7,000 tons of packaging materials, and conserved 348 million gallons of water.
The company has been recognized for several recent achievements and is making significant capital investments to drive further processing efficiency. It was the first company in North America to use post-consumer recycled plastic in its frozen meal trays, diverting 8 million pounds of plastic from landfills annually.