The proof is in the packaging
Dow helps Make it Last to alleviate food waste
Did you know that enough food is produced to feed the estimated 805 million people around the world that are going hungry each day? Instead, 1.3 billion tons, or one third of the food produced in the world goes to waste1 each year. How can more food end up on kitchen tables to feed more families? High performance food packaging from Dow (dow.com) can help, as well as conscientious consumer behavior both in the supermarket and at home.
In support of this year’s World Food Day on October 16, Dow is launching its Make It Last campaign to bring awareness to the reality of the global food crisis and ask consumers worldwide to make a commitment to help reduce food waste.
“Most people are unaware that food waste and food loss within the supply chain is a growing global issue,” says Jeff Wooster, global sustainability leader for Dow Packaging and Specialty Plastics. “Packaging helps reduce food wasteby protecting food from being damaged, spoiled or abused and can help extend shelf-life to keep our food fresher longer.”
Want to Join the Fight Against Food Waste?
Pledge your personal commitment to Make it Last through Dow’s interactive website, where we share facts about the global food crisis and how you can help cut down on food waste. Here are some simple ways you can get started:
- Choose pre-packaged foods for their extended shelf life
- Buy the right-size portion of packaged foods to fit your lifestyle
- Properly store any leftoversso that you can consume them before they go to waste
- Check your packagefor the recycling icon to see if it is recyclable in your city
- Properly recycle any eligible items after consumption