Whether food manufacturers are contending with changing regulatory environments or striving to meet customer demands for greater sustainability measures, the ways they address today’s challenges will impact future success.
This fall, PACK EXPO International 2014 (November 2-5; McCormick Place, Chicago), North America’s largest processing and packaging event, will serve as a hub for the innovations food manufacturers need. And, bolstered by the debut of the co-located Pharma EXPO, PACK EXPO will offer unique opportunities for new ideas and innovations to cross between industries.
PACK EXPO is owned and produced by PMMI, The Association for Packaging and Processing Technologies.
To help food brand owners, processors and manufacturers more easily navigate the 1.15 million net square feet of exhibit space and locate the solutions and suppliers they need, PACK EXPO International includes industry-specific pavilions and features such as The Brand Zone and The Processing Zone.
Regardless of the market segments you serve, you’ll find plenty to help you reach your business goals:
- The Brand Zone (Upper North Hall) will help brand owners break the mold, with innovative containers and materials to interrupt the retail landscape, broaden your appeal, enhance your shelf presence and extend shelf life. The 11th Annual Showcase of Packaging Innovations, sponsored by the Dow Chemical Company, will display an array of award-winning package designs from all over the world.
- The Processing Zone (Upper Lakeside) is a hub spotlighting the latest in processing technology. And, since PACK EXPO is about discovering innovation for your entire supply chain, you’ll also find suppliers throughout the exhibit halls who can help you develop total systems solutions.
- The Reusable Packaging Pavilion (Upper Lakeside) will offer ways for you to explore methods of reducing waste, slashing shipping costs, protecting your goods and increasing productivity and your bottom line.
- There will be an abundance of free educational opportunities at PACK EXPO International. Seminars on breakthrough technologies and techniques, with applications in a wide variety of industries, will be featured at three Innovation Stage locations. The Food Safety Summit Resource Center (Booth # S-2962), organized and owned by the Food Safety Summit and co-sponsored by GE Intelligent Platforms, will present subject matter experts on critical food safety matters like the Global Food Safety Initiative (GFSI) and compliance with the Food Safety Modernization Act (FSMA). At the Center for Trends & Technology (Booth # S-3907), you can learn about the latest technologies and emerging trends on topics such as machine safety, the Internet of Things, serialization and line optimization.
Here is a sneak peek of just some of the innovations you can expect to see at the show:
- Versatile FFS machinery
Parsons-Eagle Packaging Systems (Booth #S-2001) will display its new Phaser XP vertical form/fill/seal machine. The Phaser XP is capable of producing over 60 pillow, gusseted or flat-bottom packages per minute, with dimensions ranging from two to 13 inches wide and three to 15 inches long. Its open architecture allows for easy changeover and maintenance.
- Bag conveyor that doubles product-per-minute output
Multi-Conveyor’s (Booth #S-3414) new asynchronous deposited bag conveyor can merge over 100 products per minute from two lines into a single line—doubling the typical product-per-minute production rate. A Rockwell L71 processor controls the system by communicating with the servo controllers using CIP motion for greater output and operating efficiency.
- Flexible packaging solutions that enhance cost savings
PlexPack (Booth #S-1972) will launch three flexible packaging solutions at PACK EXPO International 2014. The Emplex MPS 6141 bag/pouch sealer, a conveyor table top band sealer, efficiently seals stand-up pouches and other bags. The Emplex BH 01 bag opener allows operators to effortlessly open bags before inserting the product, increasing output and reducing operation costs. The Emplex MPS 8100 hot air sealer provides consistent seals without Teflon bands, due to improved heat transfer capabilities, and adds significant energy savings.
- Print controllers that simplify processing and printing variable data
AllMark 400 print controllers from ImTech (Booth #E-6747) feature an easy-to-use touchscreen interface for simple message creation and print all popular barcode symbol markups, including linear and 2-D. The controllers can also network with other devices, such as scales and barcode scanners, for easy processing and printing of variable data.
- A faster flow wrapper
Campbell Wrapper Corporation (Booth #S-2001) will be introducing its high-speed horizontal flow wrapper. Featuring an Allen-Bradley servo drive and PanelView Plus 6 1000 color touchscreen controls, the Campbell Revolution is easy to operate and reaches production speeds of 600 packages per minute. The machine features customizable options such as adjustable web widths and a slack web detector for quick product changeover. The stainless steel body enables quick and easy washdown operations to enhance sanitation processes.
To register for PACK EXPO International 2014, visit www.packexpointernational.com. The registration rate is $60.