Turkey has a way of bringing people together. In fact, it’s hard to think of a Thanksgiving without it. This year, Butterball® is asking family and friends to “throwback” to their favorite Thanksgiving memories of simpler times and reflect on the holiday meal that Butterball has been helping make special for more than 60 years.
“This year, we’re taking the time to revisit and celebrate the best holiday memories,” said Sue Smith, co-director of the Butterball Turkey Talk-Line®. “We’ll be sharing throwback photos and memorable calls from over the years, debunking myths with today’s cooking methods and even limited edition throwback packaging on fresh turkeys featuring an iconic Norman Rockwell image of Thanksgiving.”
Thanksgiving Through the Years With Butterball:
No matter when you look back, Butterball was a part of your Thanksgiving – at the center of the plate – providing the best turkey and advice. This year, the turkey experts will crack open the Talk-Line vault to share never before seen photos, personal recipe favorites and best memories of help provided over the years. Join Butterball’s celebration of favorite Thanksgivings by sharing with us your favorite throwback Thanksgiving recipes, photos and memories.
Good advice never grows old, so try these top tips from over the years from the Turkey Talk-Line experts – they’ve proven helpful since the Talk-Line started more than 30 years ago:
The Four T’s:
o Thaw: Thawing in the refrigerator is the recommended method. For every four pounds of turkey, allow at least one day of thawing in the refrigerator.
o Temperature: Always use a meat thermometer to determine when the turkey is fully cooked. The turkey should reach 180° F in the thigh, 170° F in the breast and 165° F in the center of the stuffing.
o Two-Hour Rule: Store leftovers in separate containers within two hours after cooking.
o Three Days to Eat: Eat or freeze leftover turkey within three days.
It’s All About Food Safety: Practice good food safety procedures: wash hands often; keep raw turkey and ready-to-eat foods separated; cook foods to proper temperatures to get a tender and juicy turkey.
Enjoy Advice You Can Trust: Whether you have years of experience or if it’s your first time cooking the turkey, Butterball has answers to all of your questions. The average Talk-Line expert has been helping cooks for 15 years – that’s a lot of talking turkey! This year, they are able to provide expert advice in many different ways:
- Facebook and Twitter: Participate in the conversation and get help through the Butterball Facebook and Twitter pages with tips, special savings and more.
- Pinterest: Find throwback recipes and modern twists on favorite recipes on the Butterball Pinterest page.
- Instagram: Follow Butterball on Instagram to get a behind-the-scenes look of recipe development for our Thanksgiving meal and more.
- YouTube: Watch how-to videos demonstrating simple tips for the perfect Thanksgiving meal on YouTube.
- Live Chats: Engage with turkey experts through Live Chats or via email on Butterball.com during November and December and receive real-time suggestions and advice.
- Butterball App: Download the free Butterball Cookbook Plus™ app on your Apple or Android device to get recipe ideas and cooking advice at your fingertips.
- 1-800-BUTTERBALL (1-800-288-8372): Turkey Talk-Line experts will be available this season starting November 2, 2015, through December 24, 2015, to answer questions and assist all Thanksgiving cooks.